Excellent vegetarian alternative to gelatin. Called Kanten in Japan, it is a jelly like substance derived algae, mostly found in Asian seaweed. Agar agar powder is often used as a thickener in jams, jellies and pudding. It is low in saturated fat and cholesterol but high in calcium, folate, iron, and vitamins among others. The texture of agar agar is stiffer and less chewy than gelatin or jello.
Coast of Morocco
Various Dried Red Algae
Culinary and Medicinal Herb
Vegan Strawberry Mousse Cake
Agar Agar Powder
Specific: No known precautions.
General: We recommend that you consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using herbal products, particularly if you are pregnant, nursing, or on any medications. Keep all herbs out of reach of children and pets.
For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Store herbs and spices in tightly capped containers and keep away from heat, moisture and direct sunlight. Here are the suggested shelf lives of each spice category:
- Ground spices and blends (nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric): 4 to 8 months
- Herbs (basil, oregano, parsley): 1 to 2 years
- Whole spices (cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks): 4 years
- Seeds: 4 years (except for poppy and sesame seeds, which should be discarded after 2 years)
- Extracts: 4 years (except for vanilla, which will last forever)